Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSoklahoma_0
2016 Oklahoma Sooners Football Countdown To Kickoff | 31 Days!
August 3, 2016
12:43 pm
College BattleGround
Admin
Forum Posts: 1680
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

On October 28 of 2000 – at the tail end of what would become known as “Red October” in Sooner lore – OU hosted No. 1 Nebraska for arguably the biggest home game in school history. OU had just defeated then-No. 3 Kansas state two weeks prior and had demolished then-No. 10 Texas the week before that. Bob had taken OU out of the darkness and back into the national spotlight, but this was by far the biggest stage his team had seen.

I was in the sixth grade at the time. I rocked highlighted hair, a Rocky Calmus jersey and cargo shorts. My style was more than suspect, but for the first time in my life, my choice to root for OU wasn’t.

Growing up during the John Blake and Howard Schnellenberger years, I had never really seen Sooner greatness firsthand. My dad warned me on the way to the game, “You’ve never been to a wild football game before. You’ve never seen people acting the way they are going to act”. I replied, “Yeah, but I’ve seen some good ones at Lloyd Noble”. My dad just shook his head.

In the first few possessions, it looked like the moment was just too big for this OU team. Eric Crouch threw for one score and ran for another, and the Sooners were down 14-0 midway through the first quarter. After the team finally got comfortable, they went on to score 31 unanswered points and put to rest any doubt that Oklahoma was back. We stormed the field after the game, which is still one of only two times I have experienced that (I recall that we stormed the field after beating Syracuse in 1997. How sad is that in hindsight?).

I don’t think I’ve ever been more elated about the outcome of a sporting event, and that includes the subsequent title game against FSU. Going to a game when you’re a kid is just different. You’re not worried about running out of beer at the tailgate. You’re not worried about traffic. You’re just there for the football game, and that game was like none other I have experienced. My ears are still ringing.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 212
Currently Online: Lindamof, Raymondkam
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
UGA BattleGround: 5
BetDawg: 1
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 0
Members: 137672
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 66
Topics: 1655
Newest Members:
Raymondkam, Vilianafqy, Irinuvo, Julicku, dorthydecker99, IlyiaTed, Irintlj, ThomasovWEW, Juliajh, Irincsf
Administrators: admin: 2, College BattleGround: 1680