Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSMIAMI1
Miami Hurricanes Football: 'Canes Camp Quotes 8/13
August 13, 2016
10:48 pm
College BattleGround
Admin
Forum Posts: 1680
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Image Enlarger

Quotes:

Head Coach Mark Richt

Opening Statement…

“Today we were teaching our one-minute offense, one-minute defense. We had a drive where, it was right before the half, we needed a field goal attempt to have success offensively, really more of a teach drill. We had one at the end of the game where we needed a touchdown to win – again, teaching offensive and defensive guys how to do it. It really wasn’t a competitive drill. It was a teaching drill, first shot out of the cannon. We did a little third and medium, third and long situation today. But it was a shortened practice – we went helmets only, as you can see. We did that just to give them a little bit of a break. Tomorrow we won’t practice. And then Monday, we’ll get cranked up again, in pads and have a typical two-hour and 15 minute practice, or however long it is. That’s kind of where we’re at today. More of a teaching day.”

On giving players the second practice off Friday afternoon…

“Yesterday afternoon, yes. To be honest with you, two things – obviously it is smoking hot out here and they’ve been working in the heat. But they’ve been working well in the heat. Usually by that time, it’s Practice 11 or 12 – usually by Practice 10, there’s at least one dud in there….just not giving effort, not giving us all they have. I just didn’t see that yet. I thought they were working hard, I thought you could see they were fatigued. You want them to fight through fatigue, but you also want to be wise with soft tissue injuries and things of that nature. It looked like a good time to give them a little bit of a break.”

On what percent of the offense has been installed thus far…

“At this point, 95 percent of installation is in. There will be a reduction when we get to game-planning. I say reduction of total [plays] – we’re not going to put in every single play that we ran in the game plan. We’ll pick and choose the things we like the best. And there maybe a few plays that are specific for an opponent that might be added to it. Overall, let’s just say hypothetically there’s 100 plays that we’ve installed, we might have 50 going into a game, 50 of the 100 we’ve been working all along. And then maybe a couple here and there that are new because of what we see on tape.”

On the play offensive lineman Hunter Knighton…

“I don’t know for sure, to be honest with you. We’re working so many units. I’m watching quarterback play so much. When we watch tape as a staff, I am looking at it through the eyes of a quarterbacks coach. I’ll see schematically if everyone is doing what they’re supposed to do, or getting a hat on the right person. But I’m not specifically looking at his number to see how he’s doing. Coach Searels is the best guy to ask about that.”

On the injury to defensive lineman Tyreic Martin…

“A knee. Non-surgical injury that will keep him out a little bit.”

On how the number of injuries compares with training camps of the past…

“It has been very, very good to this point. Very few. We had one I.V. on a player and one I.V. on a coach – I won’t say which coach [laughs]. I don’t want to be bragging about anything because then things happen sometimes, but it’s been good overall, I think. There’s been nothing catastrophic, nothing season-ending. That’s been good.”

On the status of incoming freshman Dionte Mullins…

“We’re still very encouraged about his arrival. We think that’s going to happen. We’re anticipating that.”

On if he is excited for his first CanesFest at the BankUnited Center….

“I am. I’m curious to see how it goes. We are going to have a time for pictures, just without anybody, then there will be a time when our players’ parents can do the CanesFest type activity, and we’re allowed to give them some nice snacks or whatever, and just fellowship…then we’ll go over to the BankUnited Center and do it with the fans. It’s just a way of blessing our current players’ parents, and not having everybody stand in the line with the rest of the fans.”

On if he expects any late additions to the roster via transfer…

“If something popped up, possibly. But right now, there’s nothing I would say is pending. Every once in a while, it’s like, ‘Hey, so and so, he’s leaving, look at his tape, find out what kind of kid he is and see if he can fit.’ There are still things stirring around the nation. There are some guys that are declaring, ‘Hey, I’m a graduate transfer now and finally got a release.’ I’d say don’t hold your breath on that end, but don’t be shocked if it does happen.”

On his thoughts on the SEC transfer rule….

“I didn’t even listen. I guess you have to have a waiver in order to make that kind of transfer, is all I know. I kind of stayed out of that. I’ve unconditionally released any guy that ever wanted to leave, because I think life’s too short. I would call the commissioner and say, ‘The kid wants to go. Wherever he wants to go, let him go.’ I think we had two kids go to Alabama, at least one went to Auburn, maybe two. But I don’t put any limitations.”

Offensive Lineman Kc McDermott

On having Friday’s afternoon off and having a lighter practice Saturday morning…

“It feels amazing. Coach Richt is really a guy who cares about us and our bodies. He knows exactly when to pull of the throttle a little bit and let us relax and get our feet back underneath us. He has done a great job with that so far, throughout camp. We really enjoyed not having that second practice yesterday. Then today we had a lighter practice – really enjoyed that.”

On the mentality of the team…

“Winning. We’re focused on winning. We’re focused on getting better every single day, and we’re focused on winning.”

On the team’s younger offensive linemen practicing with the second team…

“They’re working hard every single day. They’re coming in to the meeting room focused, learning every single day. Even with the experience we have on the front line, we still learn stuff every single day. You always learn something new every day. They’re really grasping that information and applying it to the field, and they’re working their butts off during drills. They’re fighting their butts off during team periods. They’re competing, and that’s what we ask of them. To always compete – and that’s what they’re doing.”

Offensive Lineman Hunter Knighton

On how he has progressed during camp…

“I think I’ve been really good. Having the whole offseason to prepare, conditioning-wise and strength-wise, getting the whole spring in, it has really been helping me. I’m really excited about this year.”

On suffering from heatstroke in February 2014 and his return to the field…

“I think I’m more comfortable with it. It’s always in the back of your head a little bit. I’m really just thankful to be out here, really appreciative of that. During these dog days of camp, having that perspective that I might not have been here to do this.”

On if the new coaching staff has talked to him about the heatstroke…

“They’re aware of everything. When they came in, I talked to Coach Searels and Coach Richt about my story, and they’ve been great, supportive. They said if there’s ever a problem, to come talk to them. They’re understanding. But I feel good and I’m ready to go.”

Running Back Joe Yearby

On the possibility of seeing multiple running backs on the field together and the challenges that presents to an opposing defense…

“We’ve been working on a lot with that with two running backs on the field at the same time. We’ve been getting a lot more reps in that now. It’s going to give them a hard time because they don’t know who is getting the ball. All of us can do the same things, we can run routes, run the ball and catch it, so it will make them confused.”

On the relationship of the running backs as a unit…

“The running backs are very tight. We are like a brotherhood. When one of us messes up, we can tell each other what we did wrong and when we do something good, we compliment each other.”

On his motivation heading into the 2016 season…

“I’m motivated always to have a breakout year, win games and do whatever it takes to help the team win.” 

Defensive Back Rayshawn Jenkins

On the opportunity to interact with fans at CanesFest…

“I feel like it’s a good overall atmosphere to be around. It gives the fans a personal experience that they don’t typically get when we are on the field. It’s great to meet different kinds of fans and that’s what I like.”

On taking a leadership role heading into the 2016 season…

“I had to step more into a vocal role. I feel like last year I wasn’t doing that as much. It was my first year back from injury and I didn’t really feel comfortable doing that at the time. Now I feel really comfortable with the teammates and coaches I have, so I’m much more comfortable doing that.”

On how he feels physically a year after his return from injury…

“I’m 100 percent ready to go. I was 100 percent a year ago, but now I don’t even think about it anymore. I’m just thinking about my teammates and goals that are set in front of us. I’m not thinking about injury. I’m just thinking ‘play hard, tackle well and be consistent.’ Everything else follows.”

Mark Richt Post Practice Presser:

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 212
Currently Online: Veronahhn, Irinsgk
Guest(s) 16
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
UGA BattleGround: 5
BetDawg: 1
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 0
Members: 137837
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2
Forum Stats:
Groups: 6
Forums: 66
Topics: 1655
Newest Members:
coyedman71, nelly2113325714, lindahaveman72, RuslanHAX, maryannose, cindycarslaw356, RobertGap, mindy1197139, RobertSat, Michaelforne
Administrators: admin: 2, College BattleGround: 1680